If you want to get top dollar for your home, there are five things you absolutely must do.
1. Add a fresh coat of paint. Paint both the inside and the outside, and make sure you keep the colors neutral. Now is not the time to be putting bold colors on your walls.
2. Replace the flooring. Carpet stains and peeling vinyl will turn off any potential buyers. If your floors aren’t in the best shape, rip up that flooring and replace it with a great laminate or hardwood.
3. Clean and declutter. Buyers want to be able to envision living in a home, so you need to remove personal items and excess furniture. In fact, if you really want to make your home the most appealing to buyers, consider having it staged.
4. Spruce up your curb appeal. Clean up your yard and add some fresh flowers and bushes. You can hire a landscaping company to do this for you if you don’t feel like doing the dirty work yourself.
5. Repair the little things. There are probably some little improvement projects you’ve been putting off, like a torn screen or a broken latch. If a buyer sees those things they will wonder what else is wrong with the home under the surface.
If you’d like some more information, click here to view Remodeling Magazine’s cost vs. value report that will give you some great tips on which upgrades you should make to maximize value in your home.
If you have any questions about updating your home, or if you have any other real estate questions, please don’t hesitate to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!